You followed me home one night. A dog you were: white, with an eye of blue and one of black. You ran around my feet, every once in a while looking up at me as if to ask, “where are we going?” I just smiled and kept walking. You didn’t always keep up with me, but sometimes you ran ahead, always looking back to make sure I was following. And before long you were back, trotting along at my side. Other times you ran off to the side, distracted by the scent of another dog perhaps. I wondered when you would turn off and go home yourself, but you stayed by my side: around the corner, up the hill, down the hill, under the tree and onto my driveway. I went inside to get you water, but when my father appeared at the door and the light revealed you as you were, your eyes shone blood red and fearful. He was scared of you; I said you were sweet. You ran off.
No comments:
Post a Comment