Friday, April 30, 2010

La penitenza


I dreamt I lost my identity
to Marcello Mastroianni
in a bigtop production of an 
8 1/2 framed dreamscape of sorts,
bumbling and fumbling over
an easel of genius where the girl
with the meaty thighs waited for me 
to commandeer my palette and brush.
Striking a pose, a hand on each hip,
she explained the penance charged for my
years of icy disaffectedness:
"In reverse order, paint the portraits
of all those you have seen pass away."

I saw them all lined up in tight cells
waiting patiently for my approach,
but I regretted the task at hand,
hoping a bell would sound to wake me.
The gymnast called out to the butler
with spite: "Vorrei ice!  Vorrei giaco!"
And in my head, I corrected her 
"'Ghiaccio' is what you really meant."
Perhaps I'd been wrong, like most artists
in my line who realize the truth
only at the end of the poem;
so maybe she really did want a 
coat of mail and not a cup of ice.

No comments: